Friday, March 12, 2010

18 month check-up stats

I am extremely late posting your stats from your 18 month check-up but that seems to be the story of my life these days. You had your actual appointment on January 14th. Your weight was 28 lbs., 12 oz; your height was 31 3/4"; and your head was 18 1/2".  Overall, your development is right on track.

You're using a spoon to feed yourself (left-handed) and while you're still a little messy (primarily because you just like to play with your food), you can feed yourself rather well. Foods you like right now are: chicken nuggets, french fries, tator tots, fish sticks, corn dogs, meat sticks, grilled cheese (sometimes), eggs, cheese cubes, yogurt, applesauce, pudding, oranges, bananas (sometimes), grapes, crackers, cookies, pizza, cheeseburgers, spaghetti, ravioli, tortellini, cheerios, cereal bars...you're still kind of picky on some things but your appetite is improving.  You drink milk or water out of your sippy cup.

You are such a talker these days. You're talking nonstop and some words that you say extremely plainly are: mama, mommy, dada, Harlee, dog, shoe, meow, moo, quack-quack, book, blanket, more, please, thank you, sorry, love you, bye-bye, night-night, bath, no, eye, nose, pee pee, poo poo, elmo, baby, blanket, ball, football, baseball, spoon, you can say the names of about 4 of your friends in your class (jacob, cj, mason, and kenzie (her name is actually mackenzie), woof-woof, boat, row, car, and i'm probably forgetting a lot.  You know what all the animals say (cow, duck, cat, dog, monkey, snake, chicken, horse, pig, sheep, goat, elephant, bear, tiger), you can sing "Row Your Boat" and you try to sing Itsy Bitsy Spider.  You sing some songs that I can't quite make out and you love to play Ring Around the Rosies. You understand EVERYTHING we say to you and you know when I tell you to go to time out that's where you're supposed to go--doesn't stop you from telling me no or shaking your head, though.  You know where all of your body parts are, too. 

Activity-wise, you are constantly on the go!!! You run everywhere, you follow Harlee around and try to do everything she does, you climb on everything--you are definitely all boy!! When you fall or hurt yourself you really don't cry that much. You are a defiant and super head-strong fella, that's for sure. We're having a hard time trying to get you to stop banging your head when you get frustrated or upset. You've kept a constant bruise on your forehead from banging your head (usually on the floor, but sometimes on the baby gate or even a wall). You've started slapping me sometimes if I'm holding you and you're unable to bang your head. Definitely hurts my feelings when you do that but you usually get sent to time out and you apologize afterwards and love on me. I know this is just your way of "telling" us that you're frustrated but I really hope this phase will pass soon!  

You and Harlee are already fighting with each other over toys for the most part. You're both very territorial with toys and if it's something you played with 3 days ago, you still think it's "yours".  I feel like a referee the majority of the time and you both have had plenty of time-outs & have had toys taken away because of your fighting--but I know this is something we'll be enduring for years to come.....

You don't seem to have a favorite "toy" just yet but you do like to gather things and carry them around. You'll get all of Harlee's baby doll spoons, put them in a container of some sort (whether it be one of her purses, a cup, etc.) and just carry them around and you dare anybody to take them away from you (which is usually followed by a head banging fit). We went to the park last week and you didn't care a lick about sliding or swinging--you just wanted to gather up sticks, rocks or pull moss out of the ground and carry it around.  Harlee went through this stage, too, though.  

One thing I am really enjoying right now is your love for books. As a baby and up until the beginning of this year, you wouldn't sit still long enough for me to read a book to you--you would sit for a couple of pages and then you deferred your attention elsewhere. Now you actually request books. You like for me to rock you and read books. In fact, most mornings when I come to get you out of your bed, you are standing up, holding a blanket, point to the rocker and say "book".  You could honestly sit there for an hour rocking & reading because each time we finish a book you say "more".  This is our bed time routine, too!  I love it.  I love spending the one on one time with you and I love the fact that you enjoy books now. Ms. Mary Anne & Connie said that while you enjoy playing with your friends, you're just as content reading books to yourself in the corner.  

Most mornings you're up between 6-6:30, nap after lunch and are ready for bed by 6:30ish, although now that the weather is getting warmer and it'll start being daylight longer, I'm trying to push your bedtime back some so we just kinda roll with it and whenever you get tired is when you go down. You love to take walks in the stroller (although I think you like kicking Harlee's seat just as much--she sits in the front seat of our dual stroller). You are wearing 18-24 month clothes, some 2T sizes. Size 4 in shoes and size 4 in diapers. You're showing some interest in the potty--you'll tell me if you pee or poop sometimes and if I ask you--you like to sit on the potty but you've never done anything in it.  Potty training you should be an adventure since I've never really potty trained a boy.  

The older you get, life is definitely getting easier for me. Definitely much easier than this time last year, although I stay busier from chasing you two around!! I just can't believe that in less than 4 months you will be 2 years old!!! It's exciting to see you growing & learning new things but sad at the same time because you're my baby and I want to keep you a baby forever!!  The sweetest thing that you do is give me a kiss and hug me (while you pat my back)--I absolutely love your lovin'!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment